Skip to content

The Core of an Astonishing Fool

Fool’s Core Devlog #1

It’s been a while since you’ve last heard from me but in case you’ve forgotten my name is King the Asix and I run ByJustAsix. I believe it’s been about a year since the last episode of Misadventures of Whole Fool but I’ve definitely been hard at work on the series.

Since the last episode of Misadventures of Whole Fool, I realized I had an issue. Anytime I’d go to start a new project I’d have to spend a few days doing the same setup that I did for the last project. This was not only wasting my time but also needlessly unnecessary. This prompted me to make Fool’s Core, a template project for all things Whole Fool. I’ve been working on this since January and decided to come and share some of the work I’ve been doing with it.

Actor Template

One of the biggest problems I wanted to solve with Fool’s Core is how I handled the many actors in Misadventures of Whole Fool. Every time I’d start a new Whole Fool project I would have to make a new sprite sheet because the previous ones wouldn’t work or I just didn’t like how I implemented it the last time. To fix this problem I’ve created an actor node that is basically a layered sprite where I can toggle options to change an actor’s skin tone, eye color, clothes, and clothing colors among other things. This is all built upon a master sprite sheet with all the animation frames I could possibly need with the ability for me to add more in the future. It works so well in my opinion I’ve considered releasing a “character maker” for people to make their own Whole Fool characters but we’ll see about that.

Using the actor node to make Whoo Girl!
(click the image for more about the actore)

Dialogue Manager

Another thing that makes Fool’s Core a blessing is the dialogue system. I can’t begin to tell you how many dialogue systems I’ve put together and used since I started game development. Luckily Nathan’s Dialogue Manager exists making my job a lot easier. I wanted to try Dialogic but I felt it was a bit more than I needed for Fool’s Core. It didn’t take long to get the Dialogue Manager setup and I made my own implementation of Nathan’s speech bubble node that I can use and modify in any project going forward. Other than making sure my speech bubble node looked and worked properly I didn’t have to do much to get everything working with the Dialogue Manager. I’d definitely give it shot for your own dialogue systems in Godot.

Say what’s on your mind!
(click the image for more about the dialogue manager)

As stated earlier, I’ve been working on Fool’s Core since January and I want to make sure it’s the best it can be when I start making Misadventure of Whole Fool content again. I still have a lot more to work on so if you want to stay up to date then make sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram to keep up with my devlogs. You can also support Whole Fool and all things ByJustAsix over at my Ko-Fi page. Thank you so much for taking the time to check me out and I hope you come back for more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *