Skip to content

Breaking Down a Brick of Fool

Fool’s Core Devlog #5

Alright! This is our fifth time at this so hopefully, you know what it is! Welcome to another edition of Fool’s Core devlog where I chronicle the ebb of my workflow on Fool’s Core and the challenges that come with it. If you are new here, look back on my journey and meet us back here because we are getting right into it!

The Aftermath of Creep

Before I begin let me start by reiterating that Fool’s Core is meant to be a template project for all things Whole Fool. This is because I found myself repeating the same prep work anytime I started a project for Whole Fool. I’ve been working on this for literally the entire year at this point. This month I intended to finally put Fool’s Core to the test and make sure it did what it was supposed to do. I’m not gonna beat around the bush… I tried using Fool’s Core and it, for lack of better words, imploded on me.

It’s weird seeing Fool’s Core so barebones like this again but it’s worth it to get it where it needs to be!

I don’t even know how to explain it… It was like Fool’s Core was too dependent on itself. Anytime something would break and I went to fix it another twelve things would fall apart. It didn’t take long to realize that I infected Fool’s Core with scope creep… For those that aren’t industry-savvy that basically means I allowed the scope of the project to grow outta control and I suffered the price for it.

Picking Up the Pieces

Now I know I’ve made this devlog sound sorely dramatic but in all seriousness, this isn’t that big of a problem and only a minor setback. The moment I realized that the scope creep got me I stepped back and reassessed the project. I’m currently working on breaking this bitch down, taking the parts I need, and putting it back together piece by piece. If all goes well this should only set me back a month and it’s back to making foolish content!

Also, I just want to take a little time out to say that I really love Godot 4! A lot of the plugins I use with Fool’s Core have been updated to Godot 4 and I really wanted those new tilemap features so I decided to upgrade the project. It took me about an hour to finish the conversion from Godot 3.5 and I had a lot of fun finally seeing what Godot 4 can do. I haven’t been this giddy about a piece of software in a long time so I had to mention it for a moment. Go check out the beta if you’re a fan of Godot.


Thank you so much for joining me on this journey. As you can see with this devlog and the one before it, this journey definitely has its up and downs but the foolishness will stop for nothing. Make sure you make it back here in about two weeks for another sweet sweet devlog and go follow me on the Twitters, the TikToks, and even the Instagrams. Also, don’t forget my Ko-Fi for more monetary support… A fools gotta eat. I’ve been your friendly neighborhood King the Asix, thanks for being here, and I’ll see you next time!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *